Re: earplugs for horses

In a message dated 4/25/00 11:25:48 AM PST, ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net
writes:

> Foam corks that go safely in the horses ears to aid in =
>  clipping, trailering and bathing.  Also helpful during trail riding, =
>  hunting and at noisy shows.  Sizes:small, medium, large." Has any one =
>  out there ever heard of such a thing??? I just can't imagine my horses =
>  standing for having something foreign like that put in their ears. I =
>  suppose if one of their pasture pals was an obnoxious snorer they might =
>  go for it.!

Hey, don't knock it! My husband's appaloosa gelding had always been a real
psycho to  handle when the farrier came to shoe him. We used to dread the day
when the farrier was due to trim and reshoe Smoke. And yet you could handle
his feet all day long when the farrier wasn't there.
. I figured it out when the farrier was hammering away at a new shoe for
Smoke. It hurts MY ears and I can't stand the noise. No wonder most farriers
seem to be half deaf!!!
While I'm standing there with my fingers in my ears. I notice Smoke's eyes
are rolling and he's flinching in pain at every hammer strike (on the anvil,
not on his feet.). I suddenly figured it out.........ran to get some cotton
batting, and very gingerly stuffed it in Smoke's ears. He boogered at that,
too, but when he finally calmed down and the farrier started hammering away
again, he suddenly figured it out. He calmed down right away. After that, he
was calm while being shod as long as he had his earplugs in.

Michelle