breeding for endurance

I've been deleting quite a bit so I might have missed something....
How much importance should be given to the first two years of a horses life when concidering a horse for endurance....???If you have a choice between a two year old...nicely built from proven endurance lines...but who has so far spent most of his/her life in a small pen or pasture...OR...a two year old who's parents have no endurance back ground...also well put together but who has spent it's entire life on 1000 acres of rough mountainous terrain...all other things being equal ie worming, etc...I would think the one raised  on the big rough country would have a HUGE advantage over the other one...regardless of the blood lines.