Re: RC: RE: *Special Alert*

In a message dated 4/25/00 5:05:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< The answer is not to ban anything or anyone but to manage the trails and
maintain the trails for all users. >>

You are right.  And to take this one step further--the control of specific
trail areas needs to be in LOCAL hands, NOT controlled at a national level or
subjected to blanket bans!  We have one area that we have had to remove from
one of our endurance trails because of HORSE damage.  It is a very short
trail section, and there are plenty of ways around it.  But that sort of
LOCAL control is something that can be worked out, whereas with NATIONAL
control and bans, there is NO way to work it out!  ORV's certainly need
management and need to be restricted from specific sensitive areas--but the
scary part of the current political trend to shut down public lands is that
it takes management out of LOCAL hands where wise decisions can be made, and
makes it impossible for ANY of us to enjoy OUR public lands!  My policy is to
vote NO!!! on ALL blanket bans, and try to push for having intelligent and
well-educated people in local positions of authority.

Heidi