Re: RC: Breed bashing

In a message dated 4/22/00 4:55:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
horsecrazy@access.mountain.net writes:

<<  2 friends and I used to
 regularly ride up the mountain to the resturant on Skyline Drive and tie
 the horses outside while we went in for breakfast, or lunch, depending
 on the time of year and how early we started riding. >>

Last month I was without a truck and trailer (gasp) for a whole week.  Some
friends were meeting to ride and help a friend move some cattle to a new
pasture.  Of course, I didn't want to be left out.  It was only about a 3
mile ride to the ranch, so it seemed silly to have a friend drive over and
pick me up.  I saddled Harca (purebred Arab extraordinaire :) up and rode
there.  Had to ride along a well-used bike path part of the way; he didn't
spook even once with all the activity of bikes passing, joggers, loose dogs,
etc.  Then we got to the local shopping center -- he calmly walked through
the parking lot and around shoppers, grocery carts, cars coming and going and
a crazed toddler who wanted to pet the nice horsey NOW, without one problem.
A friend who owns a mexican restaurant in the shopping center came out and
offered me a cup of coffee -- I drank it while sitting on Harca (did I
mention he's a PUREBRED Arab? <g>).  Several people came up to me and asked
what breed he was.  When I said "Ayrab" they wanted to know what he was
crossed with to give him such a calm disposition (they wouldn't ask that if
they'd seen him at the start of an endurance race =:O)

We got to the ranch uneventfully (except for the miniature stud horse who
WANTED a piece of Harca big time).  Then returned home.  Funny thing was that
the "cow horses" we rode with were pooped after a few hours of moving cows
around and trail riding.  Harca still had enough juice left to get us home
and then some.

I must be lucky because both Harca and 5 yo Star are definitely the kinds of
horses you can ride into town for breakfast.  (2 year old Chance might be a
different story though).

Sylvia (Let's hear it for ALL horses of good temprament and sound bodies)