Re: RC: Re: RE: 'cheap' horses in endurance / no $ in owning a stallion

I own a Scottsdale survivor.  He was part of someone's
breeding project that went bust in '85-86.  His
birthdate is '86.  He was purchased by a vet whose
wife is an endurance rider (I met her years later at a
ride and she was thrilled to see my buddy).  They
bought three foals for $100.  They couldn't keep all
of them,so they kept the chestnut with the broken jaw.
 My gelding went through two other people before I
found him as a 4 yr old.  He had been abused by some
ignorant "cowboys" that were used to pushing around
dumb Quarter Horses.  Funny how small our horse world
is.  I ran into the woman that had him before the
woman I purchased him from.  She admitted that she
"beat him every day, cause she forgot he was so
young".  I almost went to jail that day.

So, I went home and hugged him and made a point of
ensuring his safety through everything we've done
since.  Today he is 14 and the most solid trail horse
I own and know.  He loves his life and loves to get
out there and to see the wildlife and to bring along
the nervous younster.  He can pace himself to have a
50 left in him at the finish line.  I could go on and
on.

His is Polish on the dam side and Russian on the sire
side.

When I was shopping for him, I saw many pathetic horse
breeding projects in Phoenix.  I was most appalled by
the family that were breeding for that once in a
lifetime filly, yet they would go north for the
summers and leave their 7 or so horses in the care of
an eleven year old that lived next door!!!

Some people are going straight to hell.....

So, my buddy will die with me at his side someday and
I plan to keep him as comfortable as possible.  I plan
on getting 10-15 more years of pleasure with him.

His name is Tondi (SilNar on his papers).

Ride on!

She

--- John Bass <jbass@beattynv.com> wrote:
> I own a race track cull. He will never be a World
> Champion, but he is a fine horse.
>
> "Cheap Horse" I have never heard of such a thing.
>
> JB

=====
She