Re: yearling advice

In a message dated 04/18/2000 08:12:49 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net writes:

<< <<  this is an 18 month old BABY.  No, you
  don't allow ANY horse to run over the top of you, but in this case, the
  explosion doesn't appear to be the horses fault.  We do have to take
  responsibilty for the part that we play in such incidents.  This filly has
  been pushed beyond it's ability to understand what is going on and the only
  way it has to communicate this is to try to get away from what it doesn't
  understand.  The owner needs to go back to something that the horse can do
  easily and successfuly and then turn the poor thing loose. >> >>

You have misunderstood my writing. The filly does fine when I am asking her
to do almost anything. The problem comes when she gets excited, not when I'm
asking her to pull something, or do walk/trot on the lounge line or round
pen. A lot of people take yearlings into an excitable environment (i.e.  take
them to a show, lead them down the road, pony them off another horse) and
expect them to do it while maintaining control.