Re: RC: Yearling help

Hi there
You cannot allow any horse to run over you, no matter how young (think
about it 500 pounds later). Backing her when she goes too far in front
of you when you're leading and yelling LOUD (I use my mouth rather than
physical things most of the time, but then I have a BIG mouth) and a
tennis shoe toe in the chest as a second line of defense never hurt any
of my yearlings. They know that Mom, the alpha mare, is telling them
that ENOUGH is ENOUGH and then the other advice of shorter sessions,
more rewards for less is very sound and good as well. She MUST
understand that you are boss, though and she is a little too big for the
head-and-tail while doing Bob Miller's foal imprinting/stallion kneeing
and screaming approach--- which is, by the way, VERY affective for
weanlings. In fact, the colts were more respectful of me at 5'7" than my
6'5" husband because he couldn't get his voice up high enough to do the
stallion scream--- toooo funny!
Good luck! Fillies can be tougher than colts sometimes. Dr. Bob Miller's
video on imprinting is excellent if you can get a copy.
Bette (who is still unpacking but occasionally takes a break to scan
ridecamp-- and put in my 1 cents worth)
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!