rye grass hay

I have been feeding grass hay for a couple of years without knowing much
about the kind of grass the hay was made from.  I am now considering
getting hay from a new hay broker who says he has rye grass available.  I
realize that I don't know much about the different types of grass
hay........whether some types are preferable to others and why.  Can anyone
shed some light on this, and particularly whether feeding rye grass hay is
advisable or not???

Thanks.

Suzanne Mounts
Oakland, CA