Re: RC: RE: Toe length

In a message dated 4/15/2000 4:15:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
RDShoe4U@aol.com writes:

<< Keep in mind that all horses are different and sometimes requires
different
 things such as toe length.Keep in mind the shoe goes on the foot but you are
 shoeing the whole horse. RD

      See, I knew you were a scholar as well as a craftsman RD!  Have you
ever read the book "On The Horse's Foot; Shoes and Shoeing," by farrier Henry
Heymering?  What you have just wrote reminds me of something he says in there:
     "It is a mistake to think that by 'corrective shoeing,' we can eliminate
most gait and conformation problems; or as Adams said, that 'a skillful
horseshoer can control the postion of the [horse's] foot at rest and in
flight'--that is no more true for horses than it is for people.  When we have
shoes for people that can control our stance and foot flight (without doing
us serious damage) let me know.  While farriers certainly can make minor
adjustments which ALLOW a horse to use himself better we cannot MAKE a horse
do anything.  Therefore, our goal in shoeing should be to enable, not coerce."
     Good stuff there.

Trish Marie & King David,
Grand Blanc, Michigan