Re: RC: Tennessee stud

In a message dated 4/15/00 10:39:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
fasterhorses@gilanet.com writes:

<< >A little horse colt playing round the door...
 >And the Tennessee stud loves the Tennessee mare

 Here's a great example of what I was talking about!
 Translation:

 A male foal playing around the door...
 The Tennessee stallion loves the Tennessee mare >>

Yep.  And as with a great deal of colloquial language, it needs some
understanding of the local language idiosyncracies to be understood on a
universal level.  I guess that's my point--while there is nothing "wrong"
with colorful and poetic language, the "correct" language is far better to
use if one wants to be accurately understood by a varied audience.

Heidi