Re: RC: The problem with sponging

In a message dated 04/15/2000 7:33:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< And if you dip your sponge into a water trough that ride management
 has put out for horses to drink (or exists on the trail already),
 then you will be breaking one of the cardinal rules of Southwestern
 endurance riding which is "don't sponge out of water that other
 horses are going to drink as we would prefer that our horses not
 get their electrolytes that way."  Many of these troughs will, in
 fact, have big signs on them that say "NO SPONGING!!!!!"

This "rule" is not limited to the SW.  It's a consideration to all other
riders and horses to refrain from sponging from the drinking water.  Ride
management could provide a small bucket to use for dipping sponging water
from the drinking water trough, or if possible, provide a second trough for
sponging alone.

Barbara