Re: RC: Re 50's for newbies..irresponsibility???

There is value in starting out in LD, but maybe it's not necessary for
everyone.  Maryben's juniors have a VERY experienced person to get them
started.  Some people come to endurance riding from alot of previous
conditioning/trailriding experience, and many long years of general horse
experience.  I loved horses all my life, had a horse in my twenties that I
"broke" myself (when he wasn't breaking me) and started riding again at 39.
Thought I knew A LOT about horses, read everything I could get my hands on.
Started with an Arab mare that was extremely excitable, very alpha and
competitive.  My friend started me in endurance, and she had about six-seven
years experience at that time.  My first ride, I fell off in the first half
mile, caught my horse and finished the ride with about 3 minutes to spare.
Got back to camp and found my helmet was cracked.  I did not have control of
my horse. Rode her in 9 other 25-30's over four years and she did not get
much better.  After the last ride she pee'd brown and I decided that she
doesn't have the mind to be an endurance horse.  She doesn't take care of
herself.   I am now starting her daughter in LD with an eye toward doing 50's
by next year.  I have learned SO MUCH over the last 4 yrs.  I will do things
a lot different with my young horse.  If I had tried to take my older girl to
50's I would have probably killed us both, or at least permanently lamed us,
because we were too competitive for our level of experience.  BTW thanks to
Ridecamp and especially thanks to all the people at Home on the Range (Apr.
1, NW) that let me crew for them.  I learned more crewing than in all ten of
my rides.

I guess all I want to say is that if you have a really experienced mentor and
a lot of experience with horses in general, you can start with 50's.  I'm
glad I didn't. jeri