Thunder and I

Howdy All!!!
Well, here is the long awaited update of Thunder and
I, and just to say up front, it's ALL good news!! No
bad happenings! Woohoo!

To start out, one of my very good email friends
suggested a very cool answer to my huge black dilema
(that's right, the 16.1 hh Thunder butt!)Well, we
started this lunging/driving type of thing where you
put a good sturdy western saddle on, and the bridle,
w/ a good snaffle bit. I used a full cheek snaffle, he
responds really well too it. Anyway, then you attach a
lunge line to one side of the bit, and run it straight
back along the horse, through the stirrup, straight
back. do the same on the other side.
This is like an economical way of long lines and a
circingcal.

So, we get all set up, and get ready to do thing. Now,
thunder knows how to lunge, but has never driven, and
niether have I, so we learned as we went.

I just unclipped the lead rope, and went to take my
driving position. he stood like a gentlmen, and we
walked straight. then i gently tugged on the left side
to make him turn. he was a little confused at first,
but did okay. a couple of times, he sort of twisted
himself up in the lines, but if theirs one word he
know's it WHOA!! that means stop immediatly and STAND
until mom comes to help.

We've been working on just this driving thing for up
to an hour a day for about 2 weeks. After the first
week of riding, i decided to try my luck in the saddle
again. was a little nervous but stayed totally relaxed
and didn't show him and fear, just, okay boy, let's
have a fun, calm, easy-going ride. nice and relaxed.

He did wonderfully. No bucking, YES!! and he hasn't
reared in quite a while. He is responding awsome to
the bit now and we are very happy once more on the
trail again.

Now I do the driving for about 10 or 15 minutes w/ him
just as a worm up. nice easy trot, walk, turn, back,
figure 8, then saddle up. Simple, easy, and we both
are getting a long really well.

Just wanted to thank My Friend again for this
suggestion, you have helped in so many ways before,
and given us a second chance and being a team again.
For a while I was condsidering selling him.
Thank You!!

Your Friends,
Kels (Hey, black butt, ready to get out on the trail
again??)
Thunder aka Black Butt (Sure oh hairless ape, just as
soon as you get off that computer!! :)

=====
To My Horses: Horses are my life, horses are me, horses are the answer, the key. Without them I'd perish, no friends, no life with which to live. Them, always will I cherish, their love, and what they give. Horses are my life, horses are my way. And never will the day come, that I'd throw one way. They come, and go like the weather, but leave a mark in my heart that will stay forever. My boys, I love! ~Kelsey