First Ride

My first ride?  Oh, yes I remember my first 50!  Drakes Bay in 1980...a ride just north of the SF Bay area, gorgeous but sadly no longer around.
I rode my big, black, non-arab gelding, Chico, who people told me couldn't do endurance 'cause he wasn't an arab.  I remember how beautiful the scenery was, how we passed indian teepees, saw what I figured was an elk...rode along the beach.
I wore white sweat pants with knee-high western boots.  Lunch was at about 30 miles or so, maybe 35.  I was exhausted.  After lunch, we had a huge hill to climb, right in the sun. My horse ate and drank really well at lunch.  We started up this hill all alone, it was really hot.  Chico went slow, dragging along.  I felt sorry for him, so I got off to tail.  I did not have long reins, rode regular english bridle, so just looped the reins over his neck and grabbed his tail.  He decided to leave...but everytime I tried to go faster(straight uphill, in the hot sun, wearing sweats and boots, remember)he went faster...soon trotting right along.  I couldn't lose my horse, so I finally had to increase my stride length rather than my footfall speed...and made a lunge for the reins(horse was tall and LONG), got them.  Stood there trying to get enough oxygen to continue living for many long minutes.  Then I mounted up and told him if he felt that darn good, he could just carry me up that hill!  We finished in 80th something position, I was really proud.
Back then they had incredible barbeques...if I remember right, it was a T-bone steak, beans, bread.  I ate like I had never eaten before.  When I laid down in my sleeping bag, after tying him extra long so he could lay down too, I felt like I could never move again.  Lead in my arms and legs.  I was just drifting out when I heard a strage noise...rustle, rustle, munch munch munch...Oh, I have to get up to check this out.  I struggled out of my bag and checked on Chico...he had used his extra lead to get his head into the back of the pickup...long body, long neck!...and he had his head in a grocery bag...eating the frosted animal cookies!  He had little speckes and crumbs all over his nose, and looked quite innocent, too!  Horses are so funny.
Katee