RE: Iditarod

Well, I think what people on this list and their horses do is amazing (I'm
just starting this year).  And then I hear about the Iditarod and I think
that is really incredible.  And then I get the below message from my sister.
She runs marathons - not the streets of NY type, but forests and hills -
they're 50 miles long and she does them in sandals.  Not sports sandals -
$10 sales items from Pay Less!

Anyhow, thought this was interesting:

Extreme Impossible (Foot)
1,086 Miles across Alaska's frozen wilderness
February 26 - April 8, 2000

Janine Duplessis and John Wagner of Gig Harbor, WA arrived in Nome, Alaska
at 2:30 am this morning completing the Iditasport Impossible in 41d 10h 30m.
Janine and John set a new record for traveling this distance on foot,
breaking Ed Kelley's 1989, 45 day record. Janine also becomes the first
woman to make this Iditasport trek.  To reach Nome, they crossed 1,086 miles
of frozen Alaska wilderness, following the course of the Iditarod Sled Dog
Race.
This incredible journey started in Knik, Alaska as part of the Iditasport
Extreme Race on February 26th.  The Extreme is a 350 mile event that has
participants on bikes, skis, and afoot.  Twenty-eight of the thirty-eight
participants completed the Extreme this year after crossing the Alaska Range
and finishing in McGrath, Alaska.
Reaching McGrath wasn't enough for twelve of the Extreme racers, as they
pushed on to Nome.  Ten of the twelve made it; 8 bikes, 2 skiers and two on
foot - Duplessis and Wagner. Up ahead, Mike Curiak set a new human powered
record covering the distance on his bike in 15d 1h 15m.
The trek across Alaska is by far the most difficult challenge these two
ultramarathoners have faced.  Ultrarunning challenges are not new to them,
however.  Janine was the first woman to complete a Grand Slam double, 1998
and 1999.  She also completed the Last Great Race series of six 100 miler's
last year.  John is likewise no stranger to the trail 100's, Grand Slamming
the designated four major trail 100 mile races in 1999.
In the trek across Alaska they encountered -30 temperatures, wind drifted
snow that obliterated the trail, fresh snow that forced them to use
snowshoes for days at a time and even melting snow that caused their feet to
punch through the surface.  There was even a stretch with no snow, where
they had to pull their sled over dirt, rocks and grass. The conditions
varied just as much as the terrain they encountered; mountains, frozen
tundra, rivers and Norton Sound before reaching Nome.  During the five days
they were on the frozen Yukon River, the biggest problem was the snowmachine
traffic.  They also encountered a number of inebriated riders, all wanting
to help and unable to understand the refusal of an offer for a ride to the
next village.
The Iditarod Dog Sled Race started in Anchorage one week after the start of
the Extreme.  By the time Janine and John had reached half way, 72 dog teams
had caught up and passed them.  The teams became welcome friends on the
trail to Nome and the mushers would often stop to rest their dogs while
visiting with the "dog-less" pair.  At the Ophir dog sled checkpoint (409
Miles), they bedded down in the dog lot and awoke the next morning
surrounded by teams of sleeping dogs.
The passage through the Alaska Range was quite spectacular.  They crossed
the Range via Rainy Pass in the middle of the night, with a clear sky full
of stars.  Even in the darkness and some wind blown snow, they were overcome
with the vastness of the area.
Another middle of the night experience occurred while crossing the Farewell
Burn.  There, while crossing a frozen river, all of a sudden stood a big man
wearing a large parka, rifle across his chest.  The sight startled them but
they quickly relaxed when he guided them to the lodge and a warm cabin for
the night.  This was just a taste of the Alaskan hospitality that they would
see all along their journey.
The schools generally provided the nightly accommodations.  The many
villages, often with less than 100 inhabitants, would open up the school for
them.  Well heated and having hot and cold running water, Janine would refer
to the schools as the local "Hilton."  The children arriving for school the
next morning would often rouse Janine and John from the classroom or
gymnasium floor.  The children were always wondering why they didn't have
dogs pulling their sleds.  The time spent talking to the children and the
teachers about their journey was very rewarding to both, but especially
John.  John was until this trip a teacher in the Milwaukee, WI area.  The
children were equally fascinated by Janine's occupation as a 747 pilot.
The sunrises and sunsets - that seemed to last forever will never be
forgotten.  They also witnessed some amazingly brilliant northern light
displays.  In fact, they had over a thousand miles of ever changing
spectacular scenery.  The magnitude of this portion of the Alaska wilderness
is almost beyond comprehension.  Janine and John were able to witness this,
one step at a time.
As spectacular as the scenery was, they are both quick to point out that the
small remote Alaskan villages and the people were the highlight of the trip.
Word spread of their adventure and they would often find the villages
anticipating their arrival.  The hospitality of the people was truly
amazing.
This trip to Nome and the incredible accounts of the journey were relayed
back to John's sister, Sue and myself via satellite phone calls and e-mail.
We both had a large group of followers that we would in turn forward e-mail
reports to.  Janine and John were not alone.  All of us that were able to
share the story of their adventure, went with them at various times in one
way or another, all thanks to a cyber world connection.
The trip to Nome was billed as the Iditasport Impossible.  I was reluctant
to use that term during their trip because to Janine and John it wasn't
impossible.  Today they proved it.