Re: Another LD vet check question

>Question: If you are planning on a 5 hour 25 mile ride, is there
>any reason to rush into the midway vetting?  I still have not
>figured out what was so urgent. Am I missing something?  Maybe
>the helpers were more eager then I.  They really wanted to help
>any way they could.

Perhaps they were being enthusiastic, but they may have been anticipating
the front runners of the longer distances coming in soon and wanted to get
you thru the vet check before this happened.  Occasionally front runners in
the longer distances will ask if they can go ahead of someone doing LD...so
if you waited until later in your check, you might end up getting shuffled
to the back of the line.  I guess you can refuse, but my take in this is --
by allowing the horses that are going to be out there for many more hours
to go on thru just might improve their chances for a completion...ie, they
can better utilize their "down" time to relax, etc.  I'm no expert in this
area since I've only done 3 LDs so far, (but I'm an avid student, a quick
study (I think...and thank you ginko biloba ;-)), and a certified "trail"
instructor (ARICP Recreational Riding L2) so I don't think I'm totally out
of touch...I hope 8-) !)  My focus tends to be pretty analytical in most
situations...it just makes sense to me.  I figure my time will come where
this will be an important consideration (I will just have to be patient
;-)) and I will be very grateful to the LDers who also take this into
consideration.  It's too early to think about being competitive...it's time
to observe, learn, analyze, and prepare.  The demands of the longer
distances require that you do your homework before you get there.

All this said, our nature is to be competitive...and it's tough to let go
of that during the "entry" phases when it has been an integral part of your
whole life.  I find my competitive nature repeatedly trying to overshadow
the desire to do all of this "smart".  (Sometimes my desires reeeeealy
challenge my common sense!! ;-))

By getting the vet check out of the way in an efficient manner (do the
stimulating thing while they're still on partial rev and then let them wind
down until it's time to go again), you give the horse more time to settle
down and think about eating, drinking, peeing, etc. -- and can get him
ready on your own time.  The lack of crowd stimulation at that point may
help your horse go back out in a quiet, relaxed fashion rather than
practicing turns on the forehand and trampoline bounces as they watch
others leave.  I'd rather mine start this way since they're still green.
On our training rides, they've been trained to walk out EVERY time, no
exceptions, no nothin'!!  And no piaffing or jigging...they know this one
pretty well since those gaits mean they will have to stop and stand while
their buddies (who are walking nicely!) walk away from them.  Every jig is
rewarded the same way.  (And, they get good at stopping and standing as a
side bennie! ;-))

That said, I'm out the door.  Going up to the Tree Farm with Blaze (his
first "solo" run so we're going to our most familiar section.)  The sun is
shining so it should be a nice ride.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm