Re: farrier stuff....

Hi Maggie:
    I have seen your posts on RideCamp and wondered if you could approach
your hubby and give some opinions from a farriers viewpoint...

Problem:
    "Dutch" aged TB gelding who has had problems off and on with his
hooves... finally has a "good" run of time and his feet are looking good-for
a change.  Farrier has put one trim on him previously and recommended shoes
in Spring...  Farrier comes and manages to cut the !@#!#@ out of his sole
causing much pain and need for vet attention due to excessive bleeding, etc.
(This is NOT just a "nick" type of wound.  I didn't witness but horse is
generally good about foot work so not thinking he was misbehaving.  Yes, I
know that farriers have bad days...)  Gal is considering lawsuit!  She is
very angry...  I suggested showing farrier vet bill and asking if he felt
responsible.  (Maybe she will at least hold off on sueing him and hopefully
they can talk this out.)

Problem #2
    This area seems to be lacking GOOD (competent and good work ethic)
farriers.  Any suggestions how horse people can remedy the situation?  There
are plenty of horses in the area and people seem willing to pay for good
work but are getting a little sick and tired of paying for poor quality jobs
and "sucking up" to egoists who feel too "elite" to show up for appts. on
time and sometimes at all...  Makes it extremely difficult to maintain a
competition animal!   Last really good guy got overworked and was actually a
mech. engineer who got employed in his field!  I'm happy for him to advance
in his chosen profession but .....

Problem #3
WHY does every graduate of Okla School of  Horseshoeing cut ALL THE SOLE off
any horse they touch???  We need a little sole left on to "pad" foot for
rocky trails.  Are there no rocks in Okla???  Or, are horses there very
thick soled?  Is this problem endemic to the NorthEast and particularly
Vermont?

Any suggestions???  Please.  We need help!  (fyi: I am the type of person
who gives Christmas presents, lets farrier pick the date/time and always has
horses brushed and behaving for a farrier...  what more can I do?  Never
whine about cost either...just "suck it up" and don't go shopping for
clothes or food!  <G>)  By the way, my dentist will tell you that I
cancelled a dental appt due to farrier only having an opening that coincided
with the dental appt!  Dentist is still shaking his head over that one!