Re: RC: RE: Educating Ride Managers?

In a message dated 04/12/2000 6:56:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< In that light, the education committee might provide the lead and the ride
managers handbook provide the content.  But it seems that the board
resolution says that education must occur which leads to a responcibility of
AERC to provide that education? >>

We're working on a revision of the RM handbook.  AERC can provide the
materials and the opportunity, but we can't force people to educate
themselves any more than we can force  people to go to college.  We provide
the educational materials, those who want to learn must provide the
incentive.  Can't think of any other way.  And the day we try to force some
sort of rating of ride managers will be the day the sport dies.  RMs do what
they do either because they love it, or because they see a need, but we can't
force or require someone to be a ride manager, or even to perform at a
certain standard.  We can only hope RMs love what they're doing enough to
learn, improve and excel.  (I don't want anyone to think this post is aimed
at anyone in particular, it is completely generalized).

Barbara