Looking Down on LD?

I think what is at issue here is not so much the requirement for LD riders
to present a horse when it has met the HR criteria, but, that the LD rider
in question felt that their accomplishment(s) were somewhat undervalued by
endurance riders as a group.  I don't understand this mindset because I have
always been under the impression that we participate in this sport for
personal fulfillment and a sense of accomplishment for ourselves and our
horse.  When I complete an endurance ride with a sound horse I realize that
all of the conditioning work that I have done between rides has paid off.

The LD rider expressed concerns that they felt they were being singled out
as a group, whereas, the endurance riders were not.  That somehow it was
unfair that they had to present a horse that met the 60 HR criteria or face
a time penalty.  The structure of a LD is technically different than an
endurance ride; you don't finish until your horse meets the HR criteria.  Of
course you were being singled out, you were riding under a different set of
rules.

I was also surprised that any offense could be taken regarding the comments
about moving up to endurance rides.  Nothing was said at the ride meeting
regarding moving up to endurance that isn't already the common sentiment of
the AERC and the bulk of its members.  As an organization we have chosen to
recognize the value of sanctioning, even embracing, LD because it is a
value-added component of our sport.  The inclusion of LD in our sport serves
many useful purposes and that is why it exists today.  However, our sport is
endurance riding and that has to be the focus of our organization as a
whole.

The complaints regarding pulling tack at a 30 minute hold and being left
with only 10 minutes for the horse to rest and eat completely contradict the
statements made in the second to last paragraph.  This LD rider views
themselves as, "...foremost a horsemen and will always strive to do what is
in the best interest of any horse that is under my care."  This horsemen,
who was at the time striving to do what was best for the horse, complains
that, "... my horse only had a ten minute break with me not bothering her
before we had to be out!"  The best interests of the horse were not foremost
to this horsemen.  If the horse needed more time at the vet hold the LD
rider had every right to stay longer.  My guess is that finishing the LD was
what was foremost to this horsemen.

Hope you can appreciate the feedback.

Salim