Deadman's Oldest Horse

At the Deadman ride Jim Mitchell had an award for the horse with the
lowest AERC number. He said that we put so much focus on top ten that we
should also honor the horses that keep doing it year after year. He's
right!

The winner was Salinas Royal owned and kept at it by Hugh Vanderford. I
believe that this horse has a number in the 3,000's. On the Deadman ride
I heard that Hugh and Royal were riding through the old Miller homestead
along the trail. Some members of the Miller family were there for the
weekend watching the ride. One of the young daughters was out in the
yard, large eyed, mouth open at every horse going by. Hugh stopped and
asked her if she would like a ride! With a nod from the parents he put
her on Royal and took her around the homestead for a few turns.

Jim Mitchell said later that the Miller's asked when is the ride next
year. Guess we won't have any problems with permissions there.

Thanks Hugh.     STeve Shaw