Re: pulse down as finish

At 10:18 PM 4/10/00 -0600, Teresa Van Hove wrote:
>It would also give advantage to better crewing, over
>raw athletic talent - I used to think a P/R for finish
>would be good for all distances but have come to feel
>that the P/R's at vet checks are sufficient for separating
>conditioned speed from forced speed, and the faster horse
>should win.

Speaking as a generally crewless (hopefully not clueless <g>) rider, I
think you've got a point - though I don't think it is a big advantage.
Your big advantage at a P&R is a really fit horse who hasn't been overrun
and drops like a rock back under 60.  I think the better conditioned horse
would win one way or the other.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com