Re: RC: RE: Finish Lines

In a message dated 4/10/00 6:48:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
truman.prevatt@netsrq.com writes:

<< The most likely place for an accident is at the beginning or
 at the end. I have run rides both on with the start and finish on private
land
 (next to a state forest) and on public land.  I have run rides that had to >>

All this talk about finish lines made me wonder why the Tevis hasn't had huge
problems at the finish.  Before everybody goes ballistic here, I'm not
critizing the Tevis management, rather complimenting them and the riders who
are "going for it" at the end (unlike me who is usually trying not  to hurl
or fall asleep -- or worse yet BOTH  at the finish).  For those of you who
haven't been there, the actual finish is before you get to the fairgrounds in
Auburn, and before you cross a railroad track that is still in daily use.
Which is sound judgment on the part of ride management.  However, the trail
which the frontrunners are racing along BEFORE they get to all THOSE hazards
is pretty narrow, its dark, and you're racing through these things called
"the black holes" (if that won't scare 'ya nothing will).  I've heard stories
of riders agreeing to not race in because of the treacheries of the black
holes.  And even when people decided to race in, I've not heard of a major
mishap on that trail -- which is really pretty incredible.  I wonder what the
difference is?  No criticism intended here of anyone, just musing, I guess.
I certainly think that the Posse RM did the best that they could and I do
think that the riders had a serious lapse in common sense (but then...who
amongst us hasn't?  I hope they learned from it).

Sylvia (I hope the Posse Ride continues, 'cause I'd pretty much like to ride
every ride in the counry at least once and this sounds like a good one! :))