Re: RC: Re: finish line

In a message dated 4/10/00 5:41:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
sbrown@wamedes.com writes:

<< I'm curious as to why this is *not* done?  It is my understanding that the
 reason it's set up this way for the 25s is to prevent them from heavy duty
 racing in to the finish...or is there some other reason that I'm not aware
 of? >>

Since racing is a very real aspect of this sport for a great many
competitors, not stopping the time until the pulse reaches criterion is not
very practical.  After a burst of speed, a difference of 30 seconds or a
minute (or even more!) in reaching criterion is sort of moot.  The important
thing is that the horse CAN and DOES recover after his bout of racing.  Hence
finish criteria consisting of several different parameters, including pulse
recovery.  You are right that the reason the finish pulse is a requirement of
LD's is to take the racing OUT of LD's.  And that is what it would do if you
extended it to other distances, too.  I don't think that is a point we are
trying to achieve.

 << How much time do the finishers in longer distances have to reach
criteria?  >>

An hour.

Heidi