No Frills 50 ~~ LONG

Hi!

Last Friday, my friend, devoted crew and fellow Ridecamper Michelle
Kurtz and I, headed down to Front Royal, VA. for my first attempt at an
Old Dominion ride.  Let me tell you folks, they are everything you've
heard and then some!
We arrived in the late afternoon and set up camp, enjoying the 82 degree
Virginia day.  As we were eating our dinner and commenting on the
beautiful weather and scenery, a little wind kicked up.  Well, soon
it turned to near gale force winds, that we found out later, tore down
the HUGE tent they had set up for awards and dinner.  I was awake in the
camper, listening to the wind and waiting for our little canopy to take
off.  Finally at 2:30 am I couldn't stand it any longer.  I had visions
of it blowing through camp and scaring someone's poor horse right out of
it's pen and into the mountains to be lost forever.  I couldn't have
that on my conscience, so I took it down.  If you haven't had the
experience, try taking down a tarp in 50 mph winds.
Saturday was nice, but the wind kept blowing.  There was a 10 and a 25
mile Ride and Tie on Saturday, can't tell you who won.  Those people
sure look like they have fun!  I saw someone with their rider packet and
decided to go and get mine.  While we were waiting for Hans, we noticed
3 people trying to set up a rather large canopy.  They were having
trouble so we decided to pitch in.  The attempt was unsuccessful because
of the relentless high winds and ended with a poor woman being lifted in
to the air several feet. After that Michelle and I spent some time
directing rigs into camp so as to maximize the space available.  There
were something like 100 entries expected between the 25 (which turned
out to be 30) and the 50.  Late Sat. afternoon, clouds started rolling
in so we decided to hurry up and take a little ride to stretch Saffron's
legs and see the first part of the trail.  It was drizzling when we left
camp, but about a half mile out the skies opened up and it just poured,
thunder rolling in the distance.  We came back to find that somehow,
magically, they had set up the HUGE tent again for dinner and the riders
meeting.  It looked a little worse for wear, but no leaks.  It was
crowded in there, but no one was complaining, it was *dry*.  After the
meeting we headed back and took the horses for a walk (it was flurrying
a little).   After getting them  settled in, we climbed into bed and I
slept, unusual for me the night before a ride, but I was exhausted.  It
rained until about 10:00, sleeted a little after that and then the wind
picked up again, only it was a COLD wind.  The temperature was dropping
*fast*.
Woke up a little after am and saw that the skies were clear, but the
wind had not let up, in fact, seemed to be getting stronger.  We went
over for coffee and donuts only to find that the *HUGE* tent was gone
again.  There was no coffee left, and let me tell you, I didn't hang
around the pot long.  I KNOW what a caffeine deficiency can do to a
person.  The ride started at 7:00 with a controlled start at a walk for
about a quarter mile where the hardtop turns in to gravel road.  I had
decided that I would walk Saffron in hand as in the past she has nearly
dumped me at the start of the ride.  Not a glorious way to start, but
safe.  It turns out that she was more interested in her buddy back at
camp than chasing the pack, so I got on.  Ellen Tully and Bahreyn (hope
I spelled that right Ellen) came along and we rode the first 1/2 of the
ride together.  I have her to thank for getting me through the ride
within the time allowed.  I would have never had the guts to push
Saffron through those rocks without her.  I don't know how cold it was,
and don't want to know.  Did I mention that it was windy?
The first loop was 19 miles with a nasty, steep and long climb to 1800
feet(and rocks).  I decided that this was the time to see how Saffron
would handle tailing, and she did and very well I must say.  We rode the
ridge awhile and the wind was so strong at times that I thought it would
blow us off the mountain.  Saffron wasn't drinking well yet, but she
usually lets me know when she wants a drink, and once she starts she
drinks often.  Made it into the 1st VC in about 4 1/2 hours.  She seemed
to hang at about 63, and wouldn't come down to meet the 60 parameter,
which is unusual for her.  After a few minutes she peed and her pulse
dropped like a rock.  There was no crew access, so we were on our own
for the 30 minute hold.  This was no problem for Saffron (aka Hoover)
who was happily vacuuming up any spare grains/beet pulp/mash/hay around
the VC area.  Gave her electrolytes just before we headed out, ohhhhhh
she HATES that, and makes the most ugly faces at me.
Left the check with Ellen for the second leg of the ride.  Another climb
(and rocks) to about the same height and more wind.  This leg was 13
miles and Saffron and Bahreyn were getting along very well.  We got up
to the ridge line and were riding along (through the rocks, did I
mention rocks?).  We met up with another rider, Lisa from Pittsburgh,
and Ellen went on ahead, knowing she could go a little faster with her
big guy.  Pretty soon we met Ellen and another rider coming back down
the trail.  I was just motoring along following the trail and hadn't
noticed there were no more markers, ooops.  We only went about a mile
out of our way and soon found the trail again.  Finally made it to the
2nd VC and Saffron was down when we got there.  Tack off for this
check.  The horse looked great and the vet let me know that she was
doing VERY well.  My crew was there (thanks Michelle, I LOVE you!) with
mash for the horse and a sandwich and coffee for me (although she
wouldn't let me have the coffee until I drank all my Ultra Fuel...tough
crew).  Saffron ate and drank everything in sight (good girl!), and we
watched the Zebra loaded onto the trailer and leave the check.  No, I
wasn't hallucinating, there really was a zebra entered in the 25 ld!
After our 30 minutes we tacked up and Lisa and I headed onto our third
leg.  About 1/2 mile from the check her sweet little mare Rosebud came
up lame, so sadly, Lisa returned to the VC.  Saffron and I were on our
own for the remainder of the ride.  At the riders meeting they told us
that the rest of the way in was gravel road so we cruised along keeping
an 8 mph pace to the next check.  At one point on this leg, I came upon
a big tree across the road with just enough room to squeeze under to the
left of the road.  As I went around I noticed many sets of hoofprints
going under the tree.  Now there was only 2 feet of space under that
tree so I know no one went under it on that day, so it must have been
blown down some time during the ride!  Now there's a spooky thought!  I
knew I had plenty of horse left, but Saffron was reluctant to go with
out a buddy.  It was 12 miles (m/l) to the next check and I guess I was
a little too fast for my crew, who wasn't there yet.  I panicked!  What
would I do??!!  Just as the vet was telling me how good my horse looked
and how well she was doing, I saw Michelle coming.  There was apparently
quite a hike to the VC area from the parking area.  This was a 20 minute
hold  and it was 6 miles to the next check, the longest 6 miles I've
ever ridden.  At about 4 miles to go I just lost my horse.  She had no
desire to go on and I had to *push* for every step.  She was all alone
out there and saw NO reason to keep going.  She was tired, so was I.  I
let her eat some grass and fool around, but when a horse whinnied to her
as we were passing by that just strengthened her resolve NOT to go on.
I finally got off and led her about a mile and she actually looked so
hang-dog that I thought something might be wrong with her!  Such a drama
queen, her performance deserved an academy award.  When the pathetic
little bag reached down for a mouthful of grass, I knew she was okay and
got on and rode to the finish, pushing and pleading with her the entire
way!  We completed in about 11:15 and she vetted through with all A's.
At the trailer she ate with gusto everything she could reach and next
morning was her usual bouncy self.  She did have a little swelling and
heat in her legs, though.
The vets were great, even at the finish at 6pm, they were cheerful and
happy, sitting in a car with the heat on!  Thanks to all the vets, ride
managers and volunteers!  Trail was well marked and everything ran
smoothly.  I can't tell you any placings, but I do believe the
non-completion rate was high due to the weather and terrain.  If you are
looking for a challenging ride, this is the one for you!  My goal was
only to complete with a sound and happy horse and I am so proud of
Saffron.  She has proven to me what a gem she is.  One tough little
horse.  The OD 50 is next.  Lets take away the cold wind and add heat,
humidity, bugs, more rocks.......

Best regards and congratulations to all who completed this tough ride!

Lisa