"Deadman" Endurance Ride

L.D. Rider LDRNotTrailTrash@aol.com
I wanted to get some feedback from the LD riders that participated in the ride this past weekend.  The general feeling in basecamp after the ride meeting was not good.  The Ride Managers attitude towards the LD riders I felt was condescending at best.  The E mail he sent out prior to the race had me concerned enough that I called and spoke to Kathleen at A.E.R.C. who then had me call Veneta (Spelling?) Bowers and discuss things with her.  The ride managers paragraph in the E mail he sent out prior to the race inferred that if the LD riders did not know how to take a pulse that they needed to buy a stethoscope or a heart monitor and that anyone who didn't was going to be penalized in some form. Those of us who read E mail know that sentences in all caps are a form of yelling.  The Ride manager then made his feelings more then known at the ride meeting with his comments about how "LD riders moving up to 50's".  What is this attitude? Aren't all our goals the same......do our best and most importantly do the best thing for our horses? All riders are not 50 mile riders, all horses are not 50 mile horses, this elitist attitude is ridiculous!  I only paid $10.00 less then the 50 mile riders, does this make it ok for management to have made us feel like second class citizens?  What was this with the 30 mile riders being made to pull tack on our 30 minute break?  I have NEVER heard of anything like this. By having us do that my horse only had a ten minute break with me not bothering her before we had to be out!  If the Ride Manager did not want us there, why did he even offer a 30 mile ride? This was the first time I was made to feel like trail trash by the management of a ride.

The ride itself was wonderful, the scenery spectacular, the trail absolutely wonderfully marked, but sadly to say it was spoiled by Managements demeaning attitude toward the LD riders.  Many riders came up to me and voiced their shock, dismay, outrage, and hurt feelings over this.

We need to unify and let A.E.R.C. know our feelings LD riders pay the same dues, it would be nice to feel like they want us.  Management needs to know our feelings.  Most importantly, fellow horsemen need to appreciate every rider who is out there and who takes the time and effort to condition and compete with their horse!

I appreciate your feedback.  I consider myself first and foremost a horsemen and will always strive to do what is in the best interest of any horse that is under my care.

I love this sport and would love to see a change of attitude towards the LD riders!