Re: RC: RE: Finish Lines

In the rides I have run, one of my two prime safety concerns are the start and
the finish line. The most likely place for an accident is at the beginning or
at the end. I have run rides both on with the start and finish on private land
(next to a state forest) and on public land.  I have run rides that had to
cross a low use paved road a mile from start and the finish.

The basic rule of thumb I use is the finish line is at least 200 yards from the
entrance of the camp, it is open and clear with a long run out and there are no
vehicles near it except those of management.  At any road crossing I arrange
for the Sheriff's department to have warning signs out and personal to stop
traffic.  The Sheriff's department has been more than happy to help with this -
of course I give the Sheriff a free entry.  At one ride which was on public
land, I had rangers at camp who went out to block the forest service roads that
came across the trail the last two miles when the front runners were coming
along. They were happy to do this. Better a little precaution than an injury.

I also make arrangements with the local EMP units to be on standby. At a few of
the rides an EMP was actually stationed at the ride site.  Accidents can and
will happen but sometimes a little planning will prevent them.

Not knowing the events or the precautions that were taken in this particular
case, I can't comment. But (IMO) providing for a safe ride is one of the first
priorities for ride management.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm
Buck's Mystic Karma
Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.

http://www.mrsl.com