Deadman 50 -- Just Ducky

What a spectacular ride!! The very first Deadman 50 and "Salute to The
Duck" was held this Saturday near New Cuyama, Calif.

The hills were so green and the wildflowers so brilliant I thought I was
back in
the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia. The ride took us through some of
the most beautiful country I've seen yet in the West, with challenging
climbs topped off by runs along the mesas awash with tiny gold flowers.
Originally homesteading territory, this country is largely uninhabited
today (other than curious cattle) -- giving the 61 starters on the 50
and 30 starters on the 30 a chance to pull back the veil of history.
This was one of those rides that had you saying out loud, "THIS is why I
do this sport!" Even the "dead man" in the canyon had a smile on his
face. ;)

I had the pleasure of spending time along the trail with Connie Berto, who
was a goldmine of information about the area's geology and flora. She
also let me know when we were right over the San Andreas fault!
(Actually, a confluence of several fault lines.)  There is a great story
behind this
ride -- which was a fundraiser to preserve 200 miles of trail running
from San Luis Obispo to near Ventura known as the Cuesta-Sesta trail,
in the Los Padres National Forest. Ride Manager Steve Shaw said at the
pre-ride briefing that this was a "use it or lose it" situation...and
the Slopost ride organization is working with national forest officials
to preserve and expand the trails. They are in the process of buying 300
acres of private land
along a stream that is an important access point to the land. The group will
then turn the property over to the state forest.

Slopost raised $1,000 in a raffle and another $1,000 in a silent
auction. It was great fun, and just about everyone got to take some
treasure home. The potluck-style awards dinner yielded some mighty fine
salads and desserts.

There was a contest for the best Duck costume in honor of ride
veterinarian Dave "Duck" Nicholson. Steve said that they hope to have
more rides here (yay!) and that
multi-days may be in the future of this great setting. If you didn't
make it
this year, this ride is a MUST-ATTEND. Let's hear your ride stories...

Bobbie in Orange County
Baskabeauty (April), who notched her fourth completion