Running martingale/hackamore combo, was Broken ribs

   Yes, I've used a running martingale with a mechanical hackamore similar
to the one you've described using.  That and dressage lessons/training
emphasizing "long and low" and seeking/acceptance of the bit have
fortunately helped me diffuse many potential panic attacks like the one you
decribed.  Thank God that as we get older and often less willing to risk
accidents, we also become wiser (like asking for input from others) and more
skillful at preventing a lot of them!
   I've found that once a horse has become accustomed to lowering his head
and keeping "on the bit" when asked to by his rider, any occasional sensing
of the running martingale just reminds him to obey your request to lower his
head and pay attention to the rider.
   You may have to use a snaffle for your initial dressage training
(hackamores don't work as well for bending exercises), but the skills you
and your horse develop will translate to the hackamore (which is often more
effective at stopping than the snaffle).
   Longing in correctly adjusted sliding side-reins can also help in the
beginning of the "long and low" training.
   Though a running martingale is usually not suggested for use with a
leverage "bit", but I personally have used the running martingale/mechanical
hackamore combination without ill effects on certain horses who did not go
well in a snaffle at the time. Just make sure your curb strap is correctly
adjusted (especially not too tight - the shanks of the hackamore should at
least be able to move to a 45 degree angle to the mouth before the curb
strap tightens), and that the rings of the martingale will reach to the
horse's gullet (tighter will be too harsh, looser will be ineffective).

-Olivia
(Olympic Peninsula, State of Washington)