Re: RC: skeered to ride

Carla;
Don't worry about it...first of all, you were brave enough
to broadcast it.  When I bought Phoenix, I hadn't been on a
horse for 13 years...remembering my past, I could ride
anything.  Then he dumped me twice in the desert.  Each and
everytime, I got immediately back on.  The place I was
boarded was amazed that I got back on him
immediately..nobody else would've is what they said.  OK,
that was the first step.  Then I had to really ride him.  4
years later, I really do ride him.   But, it took that many
years to build up the trust again.  Did I blame him for my
falls...nope.  Just knew I had to get better.  Did that
happen...probably not.  He just turned out to be a better
horse than I thought...he doesn't spook as much and he is
much calmer.  Did I become a better rider in the
process....probably.  But then again, in October of 1999 he
spooked and I fell off at a walk....broke two ribs.  I never
hesitated to get back on him.  To this day, I refuse to ride
in a saddle without a horn.  That gives me the extra
security that I need.  It makes me feel good...I know when
he spooks and bounces across the trail, that I have
something to hang on to.  Will I ever trust this horse 100%,
can't answer that.  But at this point in time, I don't.
Doesn't mean that I love him less or that I will give up
riding him.  I just take preventive measures (horn).  Does
that make me a wimp...nope.  Does that me afraid of my horse
(nope).  What does it make me....I'm not sure.  But one
thing that I'm sure of is that I love riding Phoenix and
wouldn't give that up for the world.
Diane