[Fwd: RC: Who Rides with Broken Ribs]

Nancy DuPont wrote:

> I need stories from all of you who have broken ribs in the past.  We all know that
> unless our Doctor rides horses they do not know as well as we when we can start to
> ride again.I went the next day to get my ribs x-rayed because by then I could not
> ignore it.  Three broken, not separated #7 8 and 9.  He gave me pain pills.  I
> won't take codeine or vicodin so the doc gave me motrin and that worked fine.  It
> is now 16 days later to the day.  Except for discomfort I can mount and dismount,
> and when walking I have no problem.  But my horse started jigging (its spring, he
> feels good) and I felt anxious.  Before I felt pain, I dismounted and walked home.
>

> Some say I must wait 6 weeks, but has anyone started earlier?  Let me know. I have
> two rides to lead in another three weeks.

Hi Nancy,

I had broken two ribs on a LDR (2 loops of 30 km or 18.6 miles). It happened on the
way back to the end of the first loop, about one mile from there. Ninja slid on
asphalt and we both crashed down. I felt on my left side and cracked the rips with my
own elbow. I remounted Ninja after a quick ckeck and trotted to the stop. No problems
for Ninja to pass the vet, but my left side began to hurt. But, crazy as I was, I
also finished the second loop, but with breath-taking pain for the last 10 miles.
Again no problem for Ninja to pass the final inspection. But for me the trip home was
a horror. The next day I get the ribs x-rayed and the doc detected two broken and a
minimum of 3 cracked ribs. The worst part of this was the fact that three weeks later
our German Championship was held... I spoke about the risks with my sponsor and he
had a great idea: They own a "magnetic field therapy device" (what is it called in
the US?). They sent me that device and I used it two times daily. It looks like a
tube, big enough for to comfortable lay in it. Each therapy took half an hour and,
believe it or not, after one weeek I was completely pain-free. It was something like
a wonder for me, because two days after the accident I had so much pain that I don't
have know how to move or to lay on the bed and the weekend after the accident I was
mountainbiking, three days later I was riding again and two weeks after the accident
Ninja went through the IT-program and some long fast work as a final preparation for
the Championship. Unfortunately due to a stone bruise we were eliminated at the first
VG, but sh.. happens.  Ninja was fitter then ever before, so I had a good expectation
for the title. My ribs were fine, except when I did some rash moves.
So for me the magnetic thing was the key for a quick healing process. Maybe you can
use the same equipment, if available, but I am not sure about the time between the
accident and now, maybe those 2 weeks+ are too long.

I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best for your future endurance riding,

Wolfgang + Ninja 11
Germany