LQ on Trailers

k s swigart katswig@earthlink.net

Heidi Said:

>The horses are over the tandem axles, and that is pretty stable.
>Having spent many hours trying to sleep in the overhead part of the gooseneck
>on long straight-through hauls, it is akin to a small boat on high seas.
>Even moving to the back of the LQ is an improvement, as one gets much closer
>to that double axle...

If one were to move the horse compartment from the back to the
front of the trailer, one would have to move the axle too.  The
load needs to be over the axle.

And that overhead part of the trailer is over an axle too (the
axle of the truck).  The reason it was akin to a small boat
on high seas was because you were so high up.  The closer to
the FLOOR you are, the more stable the ride.  Doesn't have any
thing to do with how close or far you are from the axle front
to back...although it might have something to do with how far
you are from the "joint" between the truck and trailer (the
closer you are to the joint the more lateral movement in the
ride--but I figure this is pretty negligible compared to the
difference in how high up you are).

What were you doing in the LQ of the trailer while going
down the road anyway?  Don't you know that that's illegal? :)

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s.  Personally, I think that, generally speaking, the horses
are in the back and the LQ is "medial" because horses need
a bigger door for getting in and out, and it is easier to
put a big door in the back than it is on the side.