Hi David,
I have a 3 horse Charmac slant load gooseneck and other than having to learn
to drive it without taking out every fencepost of every driveway I entered,
I have loved it from the start. I have five horses and each loads as easy as
melted butter. The openness of the trailer and the drop doors make it less
of a dark cave for the horses to enter. I use the rear tack area so only
open one door and walk the horses to the open door, throw the lead rope over
the back as they step in, walk in after them and swing the partition closed.
I do not choose to tie and the horses, once in the trailer do not exhibit
any desire to back out. They just start in to munching hay, as unconcerned
as could be.

I think the key to any safe trailer loading, straight or slant is
*training*. When I have to train a new horse to load, they are allowed to
back out as often as they feel necessary until they feel secure. I don't
want to have to race them to the partition or for them to feel trapped or
tricked into being there. If you choose to tie, your horse should be loaded
into and out of the trailer so often that it just chooses to stand there and
wait for you to enter, tie or close the partition. It really doesn't take
that long (generally) for the horse to learn to enter and stand still. My
most recalcitrant horse took about and hour and a half in 90 degree weather.
She was hot and frothy and I was wet with sweat, but I feel secure that when
she is presented the door, she enters calmly. I had to "take the time it
takes....." because I had initially not taken the time because she had been
born and raised at my barn and just learned to load with her mom. I took it
for granted that she was solid on loading. Then after her first trail ride
(on which she excelled and was little miss wonderful) she refused to load
into the trailer for the ride home. It began to rain, got dark, I was
frustrated and finally decided to walk her home. Luckily I was only a couple
of miles from a phone and worked everything out and a friend with a STOCK
TRAILER came to rescue us. The next morning, I got out my trusty book (John
Lyons or Pat Parellli, I think) and went about taking the time it takes so
that I need not again have to take the time. Try lot's of loading even when
you aren't going anywhere. In the morning before you go to work or before or
after grooming or any old time.Let the horse stand in the trailer for
fifteen minutes, munching alfalfa or some other sweet juicy hay. I will
guarantee that in no time at all, your horse will load and stand quietly.
If not, just plan on walking the horse home or carry a cell phone and call a
friend with a STOCK TRAILER.
Pat Super