Dubai's Most Preferred

Leonard Liesens leoliesens@yahoo.fr
from :leoliesens@yahoo.fr

Hello ridecampers,

This world most preferred will really be a very good 'souvenir' for Orfeo, my crew and myself.

After having pulled in the Abu Dhabi Millenium cup after 145 Kms, because of my stupidity (not giving enough electrolytes and having because of that erratic pulse and a horse quitting), I was looking for a revenge because Orfeo didn't deserve that.

We got it! He was marvellous during the 2 days, never tired, never had to  use my legs to push him... on the contrary, every time he was figuring out that we werereaching the middle of the loop, he was pulling on his bit and willing to accelerate.

I don't know very much about the americans, except Kristin Janzen (can) who preferred to retire at the first gate of day 2, I think, her horse was a little bit lame.

We started the first loop very conservatively at the end of the packand, and I had the opportunity to chat a litle bit with the future winner Sh Ahmed who did adopt the same tactic. A very nice guy!

Orfeo was surprinsigly very quiet :) After vet 1, we did accelerate a little bit, covering the 2nd loop at a speed of +- 19,5 Km/h and catching  several competitors (french Begaud, Pesce, Kristin Janzen, 2 american women that I don' remember the name, etc...). Loop 3 was quite difficult with a lot of deep sand, where we had to trot. There we catched the spanish Miguel Moreno.

Loop4 (last of day 1 - 16Kms) was an easy one that we covered completely at a canter behing Turcoglu and Miltto that we catched at the end of the loop.

Orfeo was shod with Sneakers that were shipped directly to Dubai by Equihotics (Thanks for the help Belinda!!!); I think this was a good choice... Orfeo did adapt quickly and I think he like them... on the end of loop 3 and 4, we came back along he road and Orfeo choosed to use the road inplace of hard sand... he was flying at a speed of 25 Km/h on the alphalt (nice noise compare d to regular shoes) ... pulse rate 15 beats less on alphalt that on hard sand ... surprising, no ????

So we finished day 1 at 16th place, 41 min behind the first. Selatin Turgoglu, th turco belgian friend was 17th .

Orfeo did recover well during the night, drank well. I was just very concerned about a very bad scratch he had on the front leg! At the trotting the vet saw him a little bit irregular. I put some destin on it, but this didn't satsfy me. Gazelle (Selatin) was also OK. We took the start together and our crews where working together to provide plenty of water bottles on the trail (they had to drive accross the sand dunes going as crazy to pass us alternatively to give each one water bottle...)

This was really a must because of the heat ( 45degrees celsius in the sun with a hot sandy wind). In fact our horses were almost always wet by receiving every 500 meter one wate bottle.... not to say how many of them the first horses did receive considering the numerous 4WD following them...

So we kept going that way Selatin and I, our horses having similar gaits and liking to cruise la together. We did i fact canter all the time except in the deep sand of loop 3 and 4.

We arrived at the 3rd vet together with the 2 first horses with an armada of 4WD (100 maybe) following us... crazy!

Before the start of last loop, we decided Selatin and I not to sprint for the 11th place and we use a coin to decide who would take the lead. Selatin won. No problem! We finished tight 10 meters before the line, then he passed the line the first. Horses were in excellent shape. I could find the solution for Orfeo's scratch by applying a spray (plastic stuff to avoid the contact with the sand) .

Et voila!!!

Finally we where the first two horse of the invited horses. Not bad :):):)

Best regards and thanks for your nice words before and after the ride.

Leonard