Re: exhausted horses (re: Dance Line)

Hi Michelle,
You will most likely get a variety of opinions about your question but I
will humbly offer mine. I don't think you need to wait two years. If you
have been riding and conditioning your horses and have them pretty much in
control, you should have no problem with LD's or 50's for that matter. I
think that the key is *pace*. It will be of immense help to find an
experienced mentor to condition with you and if possible to ride your first
ride. I was fortunate to have met several wonderful, knowledgeable riders in
the Rogue Riders (endurance club). Club rides helped me sort out a lot of
things including trail etiquette. If you are not fortunate enough to connect
with someone, just remember to take it slow and pace yourself. Stop often to
let your horse munch on grass beside the trail, when you get to water, give
the horse all the time he needs. It even helps to get off and sponge the
horse if it is hot. Sometimes, just your easy attitude will communicate to
the horse that it is no big deal and that you can stand there a good long
time and he need not get excited. When and if he drinks, you can reward him
with a few nibbles of nearby grass. When you get to the holds, try to
remember that the goal is a healthy and strong finish and you can stay over
the prescribed time if you feel your horse needs it. If he is eating, by all
means don't be in a hurry to mount up and hit the trail. I like to get into
my horse's "all day trot" and use that as the gait of choice for the day.
When you get to a long easy grade or flat piece with good footing, an easy
canter gives those muscles a chance to stretch out and I just let the horse
come back into a trot when she feels like it. The key, I think, is to decide
that this ride will be a long training ride with lots of help along the way
(vet checks) to help you access how you are doing. You will more than likely
meet riders on the trail who are taking it easy and if you hook up with
them, you will have a wonderful time. I guarantee it. Ride in this fashion
for your first several rides. Have as your goal finishing x amount of rides
for the season. Don't concern yourself with placing. Sometimes you will be
pleasantly surprised at where you end up placing. Give yourself and your
horses a chance to learn while participating and enjoying all that this
sport offers. And, (are you listening Tom?) remember that TO FINISH *IS* TO
WIN!!!!!!
Pat Super