Re: RC: Re: Gas or Oil out, What is the problem????

At 12:20 PM 3/21/00 EST, CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/21/00 8:52:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>owensall@sierranet.net writes:
>
><<  How about lowering our FEDERAL TAX on the stuff, Mr.
> Bright Idea? >>
>
>That, and eliminating some of the impossible regulations.

Federal tax is only $0.04/gallon, and pays for roads - cut that, and we'll
be whining about all the potholes bouncing our horses around the trailer.
Biggest chunk of taxes is state (also normally used for roads).

I don't know what impossible regulations you're talking about.  Problem
here is really that gas prices haven't kept place with inflation, and have
been really cheap for a long time.  Since they've been artificially
deflated, now they're coming back up.  The abruptness of the change is what
stinks - when they screw around like this, it disrupts the entire economy.
They'll probably go back down nearly as fast (though slowly enough for the
oil companies to make huge profits) - anyone who remembers the 70's knows
this is just a replay.

It is painful - esp. just as ride season is starting - my Texaco bill is
nearly double normal between increased use and higher prices.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com