RE: SPLAT!!!

	Well our local saddle club had their annual ride at this one ranch in the
foothills (we are located in CA)on Sunday.  My two daughters, a friend of
theirs, my endurance partner, De, and her husband (our pit crew) and some 80
others made this ride.  We went out in different groups according to how
difficult a ride you wanted.  We of course went on the longest and most
difficult.  It was a beautiful day.  We had a great time taking our horses
through all the creek crossings, the mud, and just love those hills.
	We came to a very small stream of water which we had to cross.  I was as
usual bring up the rear.  Now mind you 20 other horses had just crossed
here.  Well my horse stepped off the beaten path by only a foot, no more
than a mear 12 inches, and the next thing I knew is that we were about mid
belly deep in a pit of mud.  Now I had always heard of these pits of mud and
sometimes sand where they say it is solid ground in one spot but just a few
inches away its sink city.  Of course I always though oh yeah sure there is
such a thing.  I mean who would believe such a thing could exist.  I want to
say just one thing about them now "I BELIEVE".
	Okay back to the mud.  So here I am on my poor horse in this pit of mud
that seems to want to eat us. (Definitely an Arabian eater.)  I figure I
have to get off so my poor Khazy can get himself out of this mess or I can
try to help him get out but where do I go.  I decided any where was better
for him.  As I am half way out of the saddle he gives it a good lurch which
sends me sailing off to the side.  I hit the ground (or should I say mud)
which was very close and decided it would be safest just to keep rolling
away from Khazy to hard ground.  I ended up in the little stream completely
cover in sticky black mud.  Khazy had been able to make his way out of the
mud pit by this time and join everyone who was watching this mud bath.  He
had black mud half way up his sides.
	Of course everyone asked if I was okay and after I said yes they all
started laughing.  Once again where is that helmet cam when you need it.  I
checked Khazy out to make sure he was okay and he was.  I washed as much of
the mud off of me and Khazzy as I could in the little stream.  He was not
real interested in getting to close to that one again.  It was awfully nice
when we came back to one of the creek crossings again and I was able to get
ride of more of the black mud.  Still brought an awful lot of it home with
us though. Told DE and the girls I was just demonstrating what to do and how
not to panic if they ever got in deep mud.  They were appreciative of my
demonstration.  Seems I have been doing quite a few demonstrations lately.
I must go and figure out what kind of demonstration to do on the next ride.
Kath