West Nile Like Virus

This is what they seem to have decided to call it, the same virus they were
calling West Nile Encephalomyelitis (sp?) last fall. I heard a radio news
hibernating mosquitoes. The report went on to detail the impact the virus
had on the region (the Northeast US) last fall, what to expect this spring,
and what to do to prevent infection. It focused on humans, 7 died in the NE
last fall from this, and several others were sickened but recovered. I am
not really concerned for myself, I can avoid mosquitoes, but more for my
horses. They believe the only route of infection is from being bitten by an
infected mosquito (that has previously bitten an infected bird), that horses
and humans alike do not reproduce enough of the virus to pass it on. When my
vet was out last week for some routine spring stuff, I asked her opinion.
She told me the best defense would to keep my horses in at night, prime
mosquito biting time. I pointed out that I could not as I have only fields
and sheds, no stalls. She then suggested I use fly sheets and masks at
night. It would seem that this would leave large areas (neck, legs)
unprotected. I hate the thought of applying a repellent every night. What do
you all think? How big a risk are we facing in the NE once the weather gets
warm enough to hatch mosquitoes (very soon). And do you think a fly mask and
sheet will be effective? And how safe do you think fly repellants are, when
used daily? TIA
Nancy Wombacher in muddy and warm NJ