From: Douglas M Gifford [mailto:dpwg@juno.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 4:26 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Teeth:

How many hours does it take for the Equine dentist to
get their certification?  (or do states require this)
Is an equine dentist a specialized vet? How can they give tranquilizers
if needed if  they are not? I know that we have had the discussion of
non
vets giving
tranquilizers before and no one liked that idea!
I am of the opinion that you should be aware of your vet's
talents and weak points of their practice.
My personal vet for the horses is very good at Accupressure
and Chiropractic treatments as well as other issues but I am
not certain that he is good at dental work as I had another vet work
on my gelding as I posted before. My gelding has put on alot of
weight and does not drop his feed as he did before. He
also responds 90% better to my hands on the bit. I think you
have to asses the availability of equine dentists in your area and
the talents of the vets that you work with on a closer basis.  In other
words there
are pros and cons to each and it is the individuals owners choice.

Pat and Razzel in Kansas