stretching

e.t. et-albert@msn.com
22 years of observation of cats, dogs and horses has lead me to the conclusion that the stretching you refer to is done upon greeting.  Watch the other three animals that I mentioned. We use verbal communication.  Our horses will sometimes learn this from us and use nickers and whinnies. Animals use body language in the form of posturing. The cat stetch is a sign of comfort and contendment.  It shows no agression or submission to the other individual (you). It shows that the animal is excepting you and knows no fear.  You dog will do it when he sees you and is relaxed and happy.  Recognize the different postures and read what they are saying. It's a wonderful form of communication. It's very sincere.  There is no 'forked tongue'.