Re: progesterone implants for mares

Michelle wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with using these in mares that have a really
> rough time with their heat cycles?  Is there a particular brand that
anyone
> can recommend?

Michelle,

The product I've used for regulating uncertain heat cycles or for helping a
pregnant mare through the 15-90 days period is Regumate.  I have never used
it for the endurance mares because none of them have needed it but I know
people with dressage and event mares do use it throughout the competitive
season.

If it was my mare I would want her examined first to check there was nothing
amiss inside.

By the way Regumate acts by suppressing heat cycles and keeping the mare in
a "pregnant" hormonal state.  At least this is how I've always understood
it.

Hope this helps.

Heather
SW France