RC: When there's no water on the trail........

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

All:

What's the best protocol (as to electrolytes) when
you know there's not going to be any water for a 15-18
mile ride, when the temps about 75 and the humidity is
50-60%?

These are our conditions in July and August. Trail
water has dried up for those 2 months and the horses
used to drinking on the trail now haven't the opportunity.

When these are the riding conditions,
I electrolyte (about 25 grams) in a handfull of grain
about an hr. before I ride.  When I get home my horses
will drink about 10 gallons of water over a 4 hr. period.
I'll give them another 25 grams (about 1.5 tablespoons of
Acculytes, Vita-Flex) that evening in 3/4 lbs grain.

I had one horse at the end of the season have low (but not
below normal) Potassium and chloride blood serum levels (Sodium
level was just over mid-range).

Until this blood test, I thought I was doing OK..
never had any (noticable) problems.
Now I wonder....

Do levels on the low side (potassium/Chloride) indicate
I should be adjusting that particular salt, and if so,
I guess I should be mixing my own, or changing brands?

PS. When idle and rested, Sodium/potassium/Chloride serum levels
    are mid-range.

Thanks.
Bab