Spring Ride (sorta long)

Well, it finally warmed up enough here in MN for me to
venture out on the trail.  It was 72° when I mounted up at
5:00 p.m. for a 6 mile ride.  Things were looking good, no
signs posted at the local park that banned horses until May
1st....erosion concerns.  So I figured my park permit is
current and no signs posted,  what could possibly go wrong?

Well, as my life has been going lately, it was a ride full
of pleasant surprises.  Phoenix spent the first 1 - 2 miles
looking at everything.  This is his first venture out of the
pasture and on to the trail since mid November, so he is a
little curious.  Then all of sudden, he starts speeding up.
Wanting to go a little bit further a little bit faster.  I'm
thinking this is OK, but we need to take it easy...he is
still covered with winter hair.  By mile #4, he is pulling
my arms out of the socket.  He just wants to go further and
faster.  I have to slow him down to a walk in places, due to
the mud.  He is angry at me, he wants to run.  He just can't
seem to understand why he has to walk.  At about a 1 1/4
left in the ride, I force him to walk.  Now, give the horse
his due -- he wasn't prancing or dancing.  He would just
push that nose out and take control of the hackamore and go
into what I call his 'endurance trot'.  As soon as I pulled
back and told him to walk, he came right back down for about
5 seconds.  It took 3 - 4 times of this before he finally
gave up and realized that I really meant walk!!   He was
still cool and damp when we got home and he couldn't wait to
get in the pasture.  Now, it isn't what you think.  He
didn't want to get away, he wanted to roll.  So yes, my
beautiful flea-bit gray is now a very dark brown/black.
What he doesn't realize, is that means another bath this
weekend <vbg>
Diane & Phoenix (BATH, what bath?  Just try and catch me!)