eye ointments

My Anglo just had the scratched eye situation, and it was scary. Vet came out tested with a litmus type paper that turned his eyeball all green, and YUP, scratched eye. Gave me antibiotic and opthalmic ointment for that eye, and antibiotic with hydrocortisone for the opposing eye, which was a little runny. Said it's a vicious cycle here in Florida with fly's irritating eyes, and horse rubbing and sometimes scratching. Had to keep the scratched eye fly masked with masking tape over the eye, stalled during daylight, and ointment's on a schedule for 5 days. Vet rechecked then with the green dye, and voila, no scratch! When I had heard the word pre-ulcerus, I was panicked. I planned my days entirely around his eye care.  I still think it's somewhat light sensitive, and want to account his terrible spookiness on that eye 2 weeks later. Am I imagining things? I tend to be obsessive and he is "my baby", so any reassurance is good.  After all the posts, now I understand why the hydrocortisone was NOT to put in the scratched eye, and found these posts interesting.Glad I called the vet.  Randi in Brooksville, Fl.