Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myothey / Tying Up/Monday Morning Sickness HELP

Char Antuzzi Char_Antuzzi@hp.com
I have a 10 year old that has always been sound, completed his first 30 with ease, in training for Tevis this year (at least we are hoping at this point). Training History for the last few months have been slow 20-30 miles with some trotting, great recoveries, once a week as I have a full time job, single mom, blah blah blah, anyways two weeks ago within the first 4 miles he starts to tie up on me although I have never experienced this first hand but my horse didn't feel "right" to me so I turned around to head home and he crashed! He ended up lying down 4 times, I drag him out of the caynon on foot, call the vet and we draw blood, one test shows his count to be 35,000 and I guess normal is 1,000 again I have never had this problem so I can't remember everything, sorry. His diet at the time was alfalfa (Nevada) 2x a day, 2 lbs Purina Strategy,1lb Purina Athlete, 1/2 lb bran....He is now on Oat hay 2x daily. What do I do next? The vet told me to "wait it out" for a couple of weeks and start out slow again. Do I put him back on the diet he was on, can I try to ride Tevis and have a full time job and have a child, what are the odds of my horse doing this again as I have heard once they do this they are more apt to do it again. Thanks for all the advice. I am a newbie to the endurance world but not the horse world