From: Duncan Fletcher [mailto:dfletche@gte.net]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 10:24 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net; rainbow@montana.com
Subject: RC: Re: Convention & Shoeing

There are a number of aspects to this. I went to a Gene Ovenick clinic with
my farrier. I was there only for the Friday evening lecture. Much of what he
had to say made sense although I wondered how obvious the toe calus (which
he uses as key reference point) was. My farrier attended the 'hands on'
Saturday session along with another client and his horse. The toe calus is
not always so obvious. But more important, he apparently used his rail
system to jack up the heel of every single horse he shod - substantially
above their natural angle. He and his client pulled their horse from being
shod.

As a point of reference my farrier is not LTLH advocate. He takes no heel
off my Peruvians (we constantly fight a low heel problem) and are aiming for
a 51-52 degree angle. My foxtrotter (with more upright pastern angles) gets
wacked evenly all around with a resulting angle of about 55 degrees. Despite
the problems my farrier saw at the clinic with the trim, we have been using
NBS shoes on 2 of the PPs, although with summer riding season coming we will
have to switch to steel shoes.

Another view on this subject came from Doug Butler at a seminar this
weekend. He dislikes the trim (in part because of the reduction in ground
contact surface area). He also dislikes the NBS shoe. He claims (and I must
confess I came in late and had to pick this up second hand from my wife)
that the NBS shoes interferes with an artery feeding the blood supply to the
coffin bone. Quite frankly, I don't understand this - wish I had heard this
first hand and had asked some more questions.

BTW, Drin - check your e-mail settings. The reply-to header contained only
@montana.com and was missing rainbow.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net