Re: RC: x-factor/heart scores

In a message dated 3/5/00 6:26:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, woa@stormnet.com
writes:

<< OK, Ti
 You've got my attention. What other factors can I measure other than
 x-factor heart scores and what are the tests you'd suggest? I believe
 this would be a great thing for us breeders to do. Take the sire and a
 representation of get and get some numbers for you. How about some of
 the get who are in the regional Top 5? Perhaps we could quantify some of
 these traits and take the mystery out of why some lines seem to do
 better than others. I'm up for it (so long as it doesn't cost me an arm
 and a leg, please). What would you start with?
 Bette
 Bette Lamore >>

When I was in Oklahoma City I was able to go to the local teaching hospital
and get muscle biopsies done--get a ratio of FT, FTH and ST cells.

Also, you can look at the hormone situation through Rate of Acquisition--how
fast does the horse get fit under a standardized workload. We do it on the
treadmill using Efficiency Score, but you could do it on a flat surface under
the same weight rider. When you get ready to do this, call me and I'll walk
you through it.

ti