Re: RC: dishy faces

Toni, Becky Huffman is right that there is a tremendous variation in Arab
"type" from a fairly flat profile to extremely dishy.  While it is
theoretically possible to get so much dish that it would interfere with air
intake, I have yet to see this happen.  Horses who tend to that extreme are
generally "fine" all over and more apt to break down in other areas first.
In terms of dentition, this is a subject that I've discussed at length with
several equine dentists.  Ironically, extremely fine-headed Arabs tend to
also have smaller dental arcades, and hence don't have a great deal more
dental problems than those with less fine heads.  The most problems we see
with dentition are in the Quarter Horses that are bred for short heads on
massive bodies--they tend to still have large dental arcades that can be very
crowded and abnormal in heads that are too short for the "rest" of the horse.
 (I admittedly have dealt with more halter QH's than halter Arabs, and so has
my dentist--but we've dealt with some pretty fine-headed Arabs among the
performing Arabs that we see.)

It seems to be very true that you don't ride a head--both in the sense that a
plain one does not detract from performance and that a very dishy one does
not hinder performance, either.  The biggest performance problem I've seen in
really tiny-headed Arabs is that most snaffle bits are too big, and those
with a single joint will often jab the horse in the roof of the mouth.  This
is easily solved by going to smaller bits and to double-jointed snaffles
(French mouth) that lie flat across the center of the tongue and don't jab.

As to bloodlines in which tiny, dishy heads occur--many modern Egyptian
horses tend toward tiny, dishy heads, but I can also find some tiny, dishy
examples in just about every other major line.  One CMK example is Dreamazon.
 His son, Jim Jones winner SSA Csea Dream, also has a fairly tiny, dishy
head, and I haven't noticed it bothering him any...

I personally am far more concerned about the restricted windpipes, long
backs, shallow heart girths, upright shoulders, shallow hips, tipped
pelvises, and long cannons on modern Arabs--I think those are far more
destructive to performance than dishy heads.

Heidi