Beet pulp ...... again?!?

From time to time, many of us have said how helpful this forum has been for
us, whether we are new to the sport, or have been around, but a new
situation has us stumped.

Well, I've had horses for years, but this year I have a pregnant mare who
was being finicky about the mud around the water trough.  So once she went
from pasture to hay, she wasn't getting nearly enough water in her system,
and she started getting mild colic symptoms once in awhile (I noticed it
twice in the first week she was on hay).  The vet said, "not enough water in
the gut".  I thought, "I know how to fix that!" and immediately started her
on beet pulp.  I'd never really used beet pulp before.  Hay and a little
grain with vitamin and mineral supplement was about all my uncomplicated
horses needed.  But all of you Ridecampers who have extolled the merits of
beet pulp have made another convert!  Actually, 5 of them - all the horses
in the barn love to slobber it up.  It's so satisfying to hear them all
slurping away.

Miss Prissy who doesn't like muddy feet, is now eating about a gallon and a
half of soaked beet pulp a day, along with her hay (Susan's squirrel story
is NOT exagerated when she talks about that stuff expanding to fill all
available space!!).  So now she gets an extra gallon or more of water, and
has had no more colic problems.   THANKS to all of you beet pulp pushers!

Kris Hazelbaker
Idaho