Re: RC: Can you say tent? (Was: Slide in Camper or Gooseneck)

guest@endurance.net writes:

<< When I read about all the towing with motorhomes, living
 quarters v. campers, all I can think is, "Doesn't anybody
 know how to camp?" >>

I come from a long line of campers, and have done a lot of camping over the
years.  However, camping and endurance are two different sports.  If you wish
to combine them, you certainly may--or if you have to combine them out of
economic necessity, it is certainly possible to do so and still be a
successful endurance rider.

On the other hand, for those of us whose health is less than ideal, a few
simple comforts that are more easily provided in living quarters makes riding
far more possible and in some cases, is far kinder to our horses.  Years of
being shoved around by inadequately restrained cattle and horses have taken
their toll on me, and the resulting arthritis and chronic spinal problems
make me not very athletic in the morning if I don't sleep warm and on a
mattress that is conducive to proper support.  If I get on my horse hurting,
I don't ride as well, and it is not fair to him.  Such things as bladders are
also subject to the vagaries of aging, and in the middle of the night, it
saves a great deal of energy to not have to face the elements just to pee.
Furthermore, when you live somewhere like the NW where it is entirely
possible to encounter a snow storm in June (and a rarity not to in April or
November), it is nice to have SOMEWHERE warm and dry that also houses extra
socks, spare gloves, etc.  Kat, you live in southern California where weather
conditions are more often conducive to camping--that simply isn't the case in
many other parts of the country.  Setting up an actual camp takes time, too,
and there are a large number of riders who can barely squeeze out the time to
compete as it is--and would rather spend the few minutes of daylight they
have left upon arrival at ride camp getting their horses adequately set up
than having to build camp for themselves.  With any sort of living quarters,
you can pretty much arrange for YOUR needs at home before you leave, so that
you can devote your time in ride camp to your equine buddy.

I have tremendous respect for those who can camp and ride, but I also
understand that those who have at least some sort of minimal living quarters
have a much easier time of making life easier for their horses, too.  I don't
have a shower, indoor plumbing, A/C, or a microwave, but just a comfortable
bed, a heater, a stove, and a place to have a porta-potty under the same roof
makes endurance much more possible for me.  Our tack also stays in there,
warm and dry--and I have a hunch that our horses appreciate that when the
weather is sub-freezing, too.

Heidi