Re: RC: long term conditioning.

Dear Nancy
We're of the same school. All of our colts are in together from
weanlings to our 15 year old stallion (we have an "Uncle Jumper") and
our mares are out together with our geldings. Although our geldings seem
to be able to hold their own with our mares, we do put the fillies under
3 years together. Isn't it ironic that the boys can all get along but
the mares can be brutal to the fillies who are not their own. I really
hate to say this (and don't tell my husband but perhaps there is a
little green-eyed monster running around there making the older ones
resent the "young chicks"--now I really didn't say that, did I? Of
course it's good that we women never experience that!)
The bottom line is that we too have been told that our horses are the
nicest personalitied (is that a verb?) that many have been with. And of
course we spend a lot of time with them starting with imprint training
at birth.
Explodent and Jumper were out in pasture all year with their mares of
the season and my daughters were always out there petting all of them.
In contrast, Halynov grew up in a stall until we bought him as a 4 year
old and he never wants to share his paddock. Mares are OK with him as
long as they're in heat, but I'm afraid he's a bit of a cad afterwards
and wants his own space. He's a wonderful guy; just not the "marrying
kind." I guess in a way that's good because he has had to be very
unfaithful with all the breeding he's done. What he lacked in herd
experience, we've had to make up in special loving attention; and he is
a sweetie too!
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
Central Coast California
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa